View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I got my Nexus 7.2 now too (companies need to stop calling different devices by the same name!), and well, it's the most beautiful device I have ever owned. That display is unlike anything I have seen before. It's gorgeous! My iPad 2 now looks extremely pixelated to me, and even my laptop (17", 1920x1080) seems crude. I doubt I'll be able to go back to any lower resolution tablets.

This is a device that almost screams for a case and a screen protector, but it won't be getting either. My iPad never got a scratch in two and a half years of intense use, and I think any sort of screen protector would diminish and degrade the Nexus' display. And a case would take away from its lightness and slimness. (It'll get a bag.) The back feels good, but it's not on the same level as the aluminium backs of the iOS devices.

The size/resolution is strange and will take me some time to get used to (it's very wide), and this device really is a fingerprints magnet. Really nice to be able to just connect it to the computer and drop files on it instead of having to go through special software (iTunes). The stereo surround sound is also fantastic, and much louder than the iPad.

From the e-book perspective, the extreme crispiness makes this an (inside the house) alternative to the e-ink devices. I still think e-ink is easier on the eyes, but I can see myself getting used to reading on this marvel of technology. It's very fast and snappy.

Bought MoonReader+ Pro, Cool Reader and Calibre Companion (this is actually a strong reason to consider the Nexus as my primary reader) and I think I like MoonReader best. Can't quite decide if I prefer portrait or landscape (single page) mode for reading, and I keep flipping through themes and fonts. (Need to look up how to get the modified Minion Pro font on there.)

As with the iPad before, I'm sure this is a purchase I won't regret. It'll be a bit costly for a bit while I re-buy types of apps that I bought for iOS over the years (stuff like Plex for video streaming from the laptop, a nice backgammon app, and various games), but at least future expenses will be lower (I'm likely to stick to Android devices, since there is more choice and they cost less).

I'm glad I waited until the revised model came out. It's really a gem.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote