View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
The abstract says, "Results suggested that reading on the two display types is very similar in terms of both subjective and objective measures."

The section quoted by SteveEisenberg suggests that there was a subjective difference that they discounted.

I don't know how they could objectively measure my problem. The LCD screen doesn't make my vision blurry. It doesn't make my eyes stiff. I can still read with alacrity.

The LCD screen causes me pain. The longer that I read, the longer the pain lasts afterward.
Some minority of folks got headaches and eyestrain from CRTs running a 60hz refresh, too - others didn't.

It's good to see as a baseline that LCD tablets don't appear to be causing significant eyestrain any more than e-ink for most people (that's really all the study is saying). It's not saying anything about keeping you awake at night, or reading outside, or whatever. Simply that there doesn't appear to be a difference in eyestrain, overall.

Personally I find e-ink a tiny bit less fatiguing, but as an I.T. professional I stare at a screen all day already - perhaps, for example, the amount of hours I spend in front of a screen makes my case a bit different.

Or Maybe the difference in the appearance of the screen (more like a printed page) makes me psychologically calmer (many years of associating reading with calm/peace) and that makes me feel less strained. After all, studies have shown that people can't pick out the difference between Coke and Pepsi in a double blind study, but that they do taste differently to people - but it's more the effect of how our brains have been tuned over the years by advertising/experience/etc to taste them differently, than an actually large difference in taste.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote