View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
wentnorth
wentnorth began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You presented an analysis of yours, but did not really describe its current state beyond "being broken" :-) What does it do currently?

This might be a case where the USB download mode might come handy. But before your hopes get high: That will probably take some time and careful evaluation. While geekmaster (plus probably others, e.g. yifanlu) has done lots of work on this matter, his attempts were directed at newer kindles. Nevertheless, the "Fastboot Manifesto" thread has first hints for the K3, too.

I've brought my K3 successfully into USB downloader mode, but then failed miserably trying to dump the (e)MMC data. That was just a short try to test things, and I stopped playing with it at that point.

At the current point, it will probably need much more investigation and maybe some development work on a uboot for K3 USB downloader mode. This might take a lot of time, maybe it won't ever happen (sorry).

Another variant might be to use serial console access (on the K3, you can build a customized connector if you don't want to pop the cover open). It also will need some experience, but that route is described in some threads in this forums. I don't remember exactly, how to exactly approach the problem then. But in the end it's writing a working image into the system partition of the eMMC (what you called "ROM" :-) ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The ideal storage condition for lithium ion batteries is at 40% charge, but no more than 70% charge (60% recommended maximum, for a margin of safety).

Putting a kindle in storage with a full battery charge will also shorten its lifespan. The kindles contain a "shipping" script (also available in diags on some models) that partially discharges the battery to prepare it for shipping or storage.

There is a very interesting easy to understand document on lithium batteries that I read years ago, and I am glad to see that it still exists. I recommend reading this:

And now I see that it has an updated version available as well:One interesting thing is that lithium ion batteries like those used in a kindle start aging immediately after manufacture, and will die of old-age even unused in original packaging, so it does not help to buy a spare battery "for later". It is best to use a freshly manufactured replacement battery.

Most rechargeable lithium ion batteries are only good for about 5 years past manufacture, but newer ones may last up to 10 years before needing replacement (if stored partially charged). But if stored undercharged or overcharged, they can have a much shorter lifespan.

I've read the " simple kindle touch (and k4nt) debricking method" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929). And I think whether we can imply the same method to debrick k3 ?
wentnorth is offline   Reply With Quote