View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellofdenial View Post
Can you tell me a bit more about Overdrive? In laypersons language? Like, I'm guessing...you go to a website, pick the book you want, download something onto your comp, "borrow" the book to you compter, then download something else on your nook (overdrive program or whatever), then send it to your nook via usb cable? How do you get the access to "borrow" from a elibrary? Im I right in assuming Overdrive is a library? Sorry about the dumbness in my questions...
Overdrive is a company in suburban Cleveland, Ohio that has been doing ebook back-end systems for a decade or more.
http://www.overdrive.com/default.asp

They deal with the publishers and distributors to put together packages that libraries can sign up for to provide loaner ebooks. They also provide software and services for libraries to build up their websites and, I think, can even host the sites for them. They're somewhat like the EDS/Perot Systems of the Library "business"; they provide the techie stuff so the libraries are free to do the information stuff.

They provide ebook lending using ADOBE ADEPT DRM (epub and pdf), Mobipocket DRM (.mobi, .prc), and MS Reader DRM (.LIT) for use with PCs, PDAs, cellphones, and dedicated ebook readers.

The way it works is you go to the Library's Web site, get authenticated, download the file, and then you copy the file to an authenticated device.
http://ebcd.cuyahogalibrary.org/62BE...en/Default.htm
The actual process will vary somewhat depending on the type of DRM you are using and the device in question.

Edit: The list of supported devices is not complete. Plenty of other compatible devices work but aren't listed.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-12-2010 at 04:51 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote