View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #51
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
run python2.6 instead of python and you'll have it! read my post above!!

- Ed
Ed (and the others who have so kindly offered help in this thread),

Thanks, but I am not totally sure what you mean by running python2.6 from the command line. Could you give me the exact syntax I would need to run ineptepub.py from the command line using python2.6 instead of python? Because when I try
[iMac:~] eric% python2.6 /Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py

from the command line, I still get my original error message:
This script requires PyCrypto, which must be installed separately ...

I can tell by inspecting the file usage of the Python process in Activity Monitor while the message is still being displayed that
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python

is being used, meaning I'm really using the 2.6 version I installed. Entering the where python2.6 command, I see
[iMac:~] eric% where python2.6
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6/usr/local/bin/python2.6

To prove Crypto is installed for Python 2.6:
[iMac:~] eric% ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 11 eric admin 374 Oct 13 16:02 Crypto
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 119 Oct 2 01:58 README
-rw-r--r-- 1 eric admin 629 Oct 19 12:10 pycrypto-2.0.1-py2.6.egg-info

I must be missing something in my understanding, but the best I can tell, my Python 2.6 has the PyCrypto package duly installed in its hierarchy, but still it is unable to find it and use it when I run the ineptepub.py script using python2.6 in Terminal.

Furthermore, when I simply double click on ineptepub.py on my desktop, I get the same error message, Activity Monitor again shows that the Python 2.6 hierarchy is being invoked (not 2.5), and I see
Last login: Tue Oct 20 11:27:32 on ttys001
cd '/Users/eric/Desktop/' && '/usr/local/bin/pythonw' '/Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
[iMac:~] eric% cd '/Users/eric/Desktop/' && '/usr/local/bin/pythonw' '/Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1

appearing in a new Terminal window that opens in response to my double click, but there is no new prompt in that window. Python's icon magically appears in my Dock. When I click on it and then click OK in the Python error-message window, the withheld prompt reappears in the Terminal window that has just opened.

Summarizing: I seem to have Python 2.6 properly installed, and PyCrypto duly installed within its folder hierarchy. When I invoke python2.6 /Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py from the Terminal command line interface or when I double click the ineptepub.py icon on my Desktop, it is the 2.6 version of Python that starts up ... but that version is unable to satisfy the script's desire to use PyCrypto!

Ed and all you other experts: do you have any further things for me to try? Thanks incredibly much in advance ...
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote