View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Need help "grabbing the intrest" of 12-year-old boy

I have an extremely bright 12-year-old boy who is fascinated by ancient greek battles -- Thermopylae is his favorite. He blew through the Rick Riordan series with each book taking him about a day to read.

Right now, he is reading the Demonata series by Darren Shan.

I had tried Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield thinking that as a novel about Thermopylae but the writing style is just a bit too heavy for him (I had to admit that I couldn't get into it either).

So now I see that David Gemmell has a trilogy written about Troy as well as Lion of Macedon -- at first glance, the stories seem like they would be right up my son's ally.

However, I'm wondering if the writing style would be too complex for him to where he would get bogged down like the Steven Pressfield books.

Does anyone have any experience having read David Gemmell and whether the writing style is accessible to a somewhat precocious 12-year-old.

If not, based on what I have written here, any other recommendations to get him sucked into another series? (The clock is ticking -- I figure I have about 1.5 weeks before he has worked his way through the whole Demonata series!)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and your help.

Best regards,
Nancy
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote