View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
My understanding is when you purchase an electronic book you have purchased the rights for the hardware/software to render the text into a presentation layer that light waves can bounce off of and be captured by your eyes. You didn't purchase the rights for the hardware/software to render the text into a presentation layer where audio waves bounce into your ears. This must be in the fine print of the contract when you click on the "Buy" button because I don't remember reading it.
You have the right to personal use of your ebook, in about any way you can think of to use it, as long as you're not making money off it. (Not entirely, but close.) You have the right to listen to your book, either by having a person read it aloud to you, or by having a device do the reading.

Amazon doesn't have the right to sell audio versions of their ebooks, so they removed that feature.

I'm in agreement with the interpretation that says this gives end-users the right to circumvent the DRM, if they are "adversely affected" by the lack of TTS.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote