View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
It was very true earlier in the year, but the biggest issue, the font size problem, is fixed with firmware 1.4 -- all new units shouldn't have this problem.

As for the other problems mentioned in the article, I don't think any were to do with the device itself, but I do think sometimes the release of the ereader was poorly planned. It was marketed as a basic ereader with which anybody could get started, but the Kobo Desktop App at the time was problematic and caused frustration, especially for less techy users. The people selling this instore were often not that knowledgeable either.

Quote:
Not only do you have to download Kobo’s bug-ridden software platform, but you also need to install Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Digital Editions.
Adobe Digital Editions is standard software for all ereaders that support DRM-encyrpted EPUBs. You would probably need this software if you wanted to borrow library books with a Sony, Nook, or Kobo, for example, even though those ereaders often have software specific to their devices too.

Quote:
There are also other problems such as organizing your library with books you download from other sources, contributing to an ill-managed organization of your ebooks.
Not familiar with this one, to be honest, and I do have books from a lot of other sources than Kobo. Bad metadata, perhaps. Anybody?

So in the end, depending on who you ask, the Kobo still does have problems, just in my opinion not the ones mentioned in the article. Wait for the reviews on the new WiFi Kobo to come out.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote