View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney
What term would you suggest for a device that can display ebooks as well as perform other chores, especially when reading ebooks is the main use it gets? (About 2/3s of the purpose in life of my PDA is is to be a book viewer.)
Well, first off, I have never been very good at coming up with names for things, but some of the better terms I have been able to think up are; e-tasker, tasker-reader, and multi-reader.
Also, (assuming I get to change what things mean );
And you'll have to, as the field evolves.

Quote:
E-book reader - devices that are used exclusively to read ebooks/epublications & usually don't have wireless connectivity. (Ectaco jetBook, Sony Pocket Edition)
Ereader - devices that are used as e-book readers but also can be used as limited tablets. Usually have at least WiFi. (Pandigital Novel)
Tablets - handheld computers usually/always with a touchscreen and color lcd screen. (iPad)

The trouble with that and all (that I have heard) naming designations for the ereader style devices is that there are always some that just don't fit (would the Kindle be an e-book reader or an ereader?)
There are some that could fall into more than class.

Usage in this case is evolving. Particular terms will catch on and be adopted by the marketplace, even if you think (and arguably are correct) the term is wrong.

I sympathize with your concern, but I think most folks will use "ereader" as a generic term to mean whatever they happen to use to read ebooks, and it could be in any (or all) of your categories.

We'll simply have to rely on context to figure out which category of device they use, and perhaps ask if it matters and it isn't clear from context.

For practical purposes, it probably doesn't matter. And people will inevitably choose the smallest contraction that they think conveys the meaning.

I rather like "multi-reader", but might call it "multi-viewer" instead, as I see things like the iPad being used to display to display content that isn't books, like YouTube video. A friend who has one thinks of the iPad as a "media consumption device". He's quite right, but media covers sounds, pictures, and video, as well as words on a virtual page.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote