View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I love lists, reading them and making them. My descriptions are either short or else nonexistent, if I think the title covers it or the book is well-known, but I’d be happy to expound on any title.

Best of 2012 in no order:
  • Children of the Sun: A Narrative of Decadence in England after 1918, by Martin Green.
    Tender is the Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    A Compass Error, by Sybille Bedford: the account of how a thoughtless moment can alter a life.
    A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway
    Chronicle in Stone, by Ismail Kadare: WWII in Albania, as seen through the eyes of a boy.
    Under Gemini, by Isabel Bolton: a memoir of growing up with a twin at the end of the 19th century.
    The Wages Of Guilt: Memories Of War In Germany And Japan, by Ian Buruma.
    The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss, by Edmund de Waal

Worst of 2012: I’m not including books where I should have known better or where my expectations weren’t high (those Georgette Heyers!), only ones where I expected much, much more.
  • Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, by Robert K. Massie
    Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell
    On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan
    Uncommon Arrangements: Seven Portraits of Married Life in London Literary Circles 1910-1939, by Katie Roiphe
    Death Comes to Pemberley, by P.D. James
    The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family, by Mary S. Lovell
    Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro
    The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I see a few of my worst made some best lists. That’s a horse race for you.

Last edited by issybird; 12-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote