View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm80 View Post
Do you think I would benefit from an e-book reader in this regard ?
Simply, YES YES YES! That is at the very top of the list of huge improvements in reading quality for me in switching to an e-reader as opposed to paper books. I absolutely LOVE being able to tap on a word to look it up in a dictionary, and I use that feature all the time, as it sounds like you would too. I strongly suspect that you will gain much by acquiring an e-reader with a good dictionary feature.

I would recommend Sony as a quality e-reader brand with very good dictionaries. In fact, as mentioned by Terisa de morgan, Sony also has built-in dictionaries in other languages, including English-French. But if you'd rather the definition in English as well, it has two choices of dictionary, the New Oxford American and the Oxford.

If you plan to be using the dictionary a lot, I wouldn't recommend the Kindle. You have to manually press buttons and scroll with buttons to the word each time to look it up, which I haven't tried but seems like it would be more cumbersome for someone who uses it often. On a Sony, you can use your finger or the included stylus and tap on the word and the definition will pop up.

I cannot comment on the Cybook Bookeen as I don't know much about it.

However, if you don't mind LCD, perhaps one of those screens may be better for you given your concern about responsiveness, if by less responsive you basically mean slower when being interacted with. I love my e-ink screen and my Sony, but there it can be slow in responding which from what I hear is the same on any e-ink screen. To give you an idea, once I tap a word it usually takes a few seconds for the dictionary definition to pop up. On an LCD it may be faster. The responsiveness on e-ink is not a deal-breaker for me at all, even using the dictionary, highlighting and note-taking features often, but I can see how others may prefer an LCD screen.

The biggest drawback for LCD is battery life. You will have to recharge much more often (as in hours instead of days). Also, some people don't like reading for too long on an LCD screen, as you mentioned your'e not sure about. But if you decide that you are OK with both those, then I'd suggest looking into one.

I haven't used one, but I've heard good things about the nook colour and I'm sure others will be in here to comment on it.

So in summary, if you decide to go e-ink, I'd suggest considering a Sony. If you decide to go LCD, you seem to be looking in the right direction by considering the nook colour.

Finally, there are new e-readers coming out soon. Sony is apparently coming out with new ones sometime soon (maybe this month or next). Also, I think Kindle may be coming out with a touch model sometime soon as well. I'm not sure if nook is coming out with any new ones anytime soon. So depending on what you decide, you may want to see the new models first.

Good luck deciding, and if you do decide to buy an e-reader, I hope you enjoy the dictionary functions on it as much as I do!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote