View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #423
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Office Ribbon interface certainly takes a bit of learning, if you're familiar with the old Office UI, but once you're familiar with it, it is a lot more efficient, in that functions are collected together in logical groups.
It has been forced on me shortly after it came out, and even today I am *very* annoyed when I have to use it. Even the newest incarnation of MSOffice, that came with my new notebook at work is not to my taste. And I have no problem learning new things - I have been using Linux at home (before it was FreeBSD) for a very long time and over the years I have used many various desktop environments and programs with quirky interfaces.
Once upon a time I was big evangelist for the first version of MS Word for Windows. Great, great program, with its OLE features, customizable toolbars and unified user interface.

I am a power-user and a local alpha-geek, so I have been functioning as a support for Windows, Linux, Unix, Office, AutoCAD, Vim, and other programs at work for many years. So all the interesting problems end up on my unofficial support line sooner or later. I have even been teaching AutoCAD, MSOffice and other specialized programs, such as HMI development tools.
I still strongly dislike Ribbon. Among many other shortcomings it takes too much screen estate, (especially in the age of ever wider displays). In a few years they will be selling 25 inch displays that are 24.5 x 2 inches.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote