View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The 505 compared to the 500. Both use the same books. The 505 has more color choices for the case, a brighter screen, ...
You summarized the difference pretty well, but I would describe the 505 with the Vizplex eink display as a whiter screen, not brighter. I also have found the improvement in contrast between the 500 and 505 screens to be a major improvement even if it is only a 20% official improvement. I brought a 505 last June after the price drop. After I saw the 505, I ended up buying a 505 for the better screen and design. The 505 is hardly perfect as there is a lot of room for improvement, but the EInk display readers are the first readers I ever considered worth getting just for reading.

Sony really should provide support for more formats in the Reader itself. But until then, I agree with JSWolf, I have found the conversion tools downloaded from the links in this forum to do a good job. I had good results converting the .lit format books I downloaded from Baen free books to the Sony .lrf format. Pretty easy to do. My biggest complaint with the books I got from the Sony Connect store is the wasteful large margins in the format, but that is not a Reader model issue.

The bottom line for me is that at even a $100 difference, I consider the 505 a better buy. Of course, a year from now, there will be better readers with we hope lower cost and improved EInk displays on the market. In the meantime, I will have used the 505 for a lot of reading of older free titles and some purchased books.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote