Thread: More Contrast
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
That is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I live more than 100 miles away from any city so was unable to check any e-readers out before purchase. As you pointed out I need to be pretty much in direct sunlight, or a very hight wattage reading lamp, in order to see effectively.

Guess I will just have to wait for the technology to improve more.
If the contrast of your electrophoretic e-ink display is not roughly equivalent to newspaper print, then you may not be getting all the contrast available from the technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper
I have two e-ink readers, a Hanlin V3 (EZReader) and a Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO) and the display on the V3 has much better contrast than the V5. The new experimental firmware for the PocketPRO that is mentioned in some threads on this forum has a display control setting that is not available on the Astak firmware. The display control setting seems to primarily affect the background "whiteness" of the display. Just that firmware control setting has significantly improved the contrast on my V5 to where it is almost as good as my V3. My V3 is definitely very similar to newspaper contrast quality when a dark font like IBOOKN is used.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote