View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #884
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarty View Post
Unfortunately, I have found yet another two issues with my previous conversion:

k2pdfopt -col 1 -cbox 0,1 -de 1.5 -x -ui- 43.pdf

Attachments: 43.pdf, 43_k2pdfopt.pdf
  • The "size" of resulting PDF doesn't fit Kindle 4 screen. It has to be viewed in 'fit-to-screen' mode instead of 'actual size' which is bigger and requires panning. The result is bitmap quality loss and jagged fonts. Default values (560x735) for width and height don't seem to work out.
  • Kindle dictionary lookup becomes broken for most words (cf. popular on the first line in both files).
I unfortunately do not have access to a kindle 4, but this is the first I've heard of this issue. All the command-line options are available to optimize size and dpi for any device (-w, -h, -odpi, -pad, -mc). I optimized the output for a kindle 2 a long time ago by repeatedly taking screen captures from the kindle and iterating the command-line values to get a 1-to-1 pixel mapping between the bitmap saved in the PDF file and the bitmap displayed on the kindle 2 screen. This minimizes artifacts by not forcing the kindle to re-size the bitmap. You might try using something like -dr 1.5. It may improve your output.

Both PDF files allowed me to highlight and define "popular" on my (original) iPad PDF reader. So I would suggest that it is a firmware issue. Were you able to highlight and define other words within that same doc? Either way, if you can't highlight the word in the source PDF, don't expect to be able to highlight it in the converted PDF unless you turn on OCR with the -ocr switch (not counting -ocr m, which is on by default). There is a relatively new option which affects the selection of words in the converted file, though: -ocrsp. I know that on my kindle 2 with native firmware, PDF highlighting is not possible.

Last edited by willus; 08-13-2014 at 10:56 AM.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote