View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Displaying multiple authors (on Kobo Glo)

The problem I have is that for a books with more than one author, with each author listed seperated by ampersands in Calibre's edit metadata author(s) field, only the first author is being displayed on my Kobo Glo.

I have found a rough workaround, which is to enter all authors in the field without using ampersands to seperate them, which requires disabling Calibre's automatic replacement of "and" with an ampersand via the "Splitting multiple author names" tweak.

Although this works exactly as I want on the Kobo (and sorts correctly), it is not ideal because I can't automatically set author_sort from authors when editing metadata in Calibre, I have to enter the author_sort manually for each book.

I think the real solution might be enter the authors seperated by ampersands and let Calibre split the author names as it wants, and then use a metadata plugboard to convert the authors field to the format that displays properly on the Kobo when the metedata is sent to the device. But exactly how to do this is escaping me.

In summary, I think what I want to do is take the authors field in the format:

First1 Last1 & First2 Last2 & ... & First(n) Last(n)

and convert it via a plugboard to the format:

First1 Last1, First2 Last2, ..., First(n-1) Last(n-1) and First(n) Last(n)

Any clues how I can do this, or is there a better solution?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote