View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Having worked in a library, and as a reading teacher, there is no such thing as 'bad reading'. If a student reads a manga, a comic, a below level chapter book, or even an epic novel, its all good. They are reading.

Forcing a student to read is counter productive. I've seen it happen. The school librarian was of the 'lead a horse to water and hold its head in until it drinks' philosophy. She forced the students to read a certain amount, of appropriate material, each grading period, and was astonished when very few actually tried to do so. Five years down the road and most of those students STILL do not read. Tried telling her that a horse won't drink just because it's forced in the water, it will drown. I found the Illustrated Classics to be a good way to introduce the stories, and some students became hooked enough to try the original.
As an elementary level teacher, I couldn't agree more. I even tell parents to let the kids read the cereal box while they are eating their breakfast. Any reading will help build a child's vocabulary. If they ask questions about what they're reading, all the better. Letting them read material that they find interesting will foster an interest in reading. If a child likes sports, find reading material centered around a sports theme, if they have a hobby, find books about that hobby, etc. It's all good!

Personally, I read for pleasure or as an escape. The books I choose are not considered intellectual, I read a lot of romance. They may not be on the level that some consider "worthy" by my brain is engaged much more than if I were watching some inane sitcom or reality show on television.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote