View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #180
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I guess my thinking is that the only way something like this is going to work is that it becomes so attractive to become a patron (financial incentives, opportunities, I don't know what) that prospective patrons are searching out artists, willing to bankroll them a comfortable salary to produce anything they damned well please.
The patron model isn't something I'm arguing for; I just threw that out there as a possibility (because everyone, including me, has a tendency to be blinded by "the way things are" as the only way to do things.)

Actually, I don't think a patronage model would work for books (although I could be wrong... Someone should try it!)

I'm actually making very few value judgments here, I don't know why I can't get that across :-) People seem to think I'm in favor of a lot of things that I just see as realities. I might like sunny days, but arguing that we should have more of them is pointless. The rain is coming, and all we can do is try to stay afloat.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote