View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh I see what you mean, yes. But if you simply specify the format - ePub, or whatever - then the student will be free to buy whatever device can read that format, whether it be a laptop running Windows, a Mac, an Android tablet, an iPad, or whatever else they fancy. That's what I meant earlier when I said that both Android and the iPad were "open" in respect of being able to install applications on them.
.... Really? What happens if he says buy it from the iBooksore.

With regards to the red "Whatever" highlight. I suppose if he said you must buy MOBI formats. At that point the users will have more choice than Apples iBook format

Of course if he says you have to have an android device, then he can tell his students to get the book anywhere.

..... Except for two problems. A good amount of the Text books will be in PDF (probably using ADOBE). And the only way to get supported access to the Apps he is refering to requires that Android devices have Access to the Google Market. Not all tablets have access to the Google market.

Also I'm seeing his point. While eBook reading technology isn't new, neither is the Android or iPad if you look at their guts. What is new is the prolivication of cheap Android devices, and it will only get more accessible. And the support for applications that read a specific DRM. Before these apps did exist but few people read on them.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-24-2010 at 04:13 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote