View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
txgecko
Enthusiast
txgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertxgecko can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Pocketbook Color
Adding line numbers to an ebook

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I don't know where else to put it - if this is the wrong place, feel free to tell me so. Anyway, here goes: I have an ebook of Paradise Lost that I am reading for a class. Problem is, it has no line numbers, and as anyone who has had to read epic poetry like Paradise Lost or The Divine Comedy or something else like that knows, everyone references passages by book and line number, making my copy absolutely useless without them. I'd rather not go out and buy a paper copy, so I'm trying to figure out how to add them myself. I have Calibre, so I thought I'd just convert it to rtf, open it up in Open Office, add line numbers, turn it back into a mobi, and be on my merry way. Unfortunately, Open Office adds line numbers to the margin, not the text itself, so they aren't there when the rtf with the line numbers is opened as an ebook in Calibre. I checked in Word, and it adds line numbers the same way. Does anyone know how to make Word or OOo add the line numbers to the lines themselves, like this:

Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
5 Restore us, and regain the blissful seat,
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire

without numbering each and every line by hand? Or, if it can't be done in either of those, something else that will do it? I've got Calibre, so I don't mind if I have to change the format to do it, so long as the numbers will stay there when I convert it into something the kindle can read. Thanks!
txgecko is offline   Reply With Quote