View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #349
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take PaperbackDigital for example. Since they are our of business, you cannot add or change any of the PIDs in the mobi books purchased there.

You bought a mobi format ebook from them registered to your computer and PDA. Then before you read it, you purchase a Gen3. We know the Gen3 can read mobi format ebooks with DRM. But can you read that ebook using your Gen3, NO YOU CANNOT! And why not? Because the ebook is infected with DRM. The DRM says screw you, you can't read your legally purchased ebook on your legally purchased Gen3. You follow the rules and get screwed. You download the same ebook from the darkent and guess what, without the DRM, you can convert to mobi format and read it on your Gen3. So basically, DRM can and sometimes does bite you on the ass and leave a very big welt behind.
So, you read the book on your computer or PDA which still allow you to read the book.

In the example given, you have shown why DRM wont protect the publisher and how the consumer can get around the issue.

but the simple fact is that publishers will continue to use DRM for the forseeable future. And many publishers will continue to publish on in paper format for fear of copyright violations that are so easy using current technology. So given I will not search the darknet for books and the books I want to read, frequently have DRM, I accept this and move on.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote