View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdam
Interesting assumption yvanleterrible ... does this really mean young people have no wish to read, or does it mean they have no wish to read "books" - you asked about e-books, not e-readers ...
...perhaps (young) people do read, just not in the format of books anymore.
...just a thought ...
There are'nt too many voluntary reading categories.
Books comprising novels and essays; mostly entertainment stuff. And then there are news and learning info. Most of the young people I know read about gaming, cars, computers and the occasional, but rarer, fantasy novel.
But they do read for work or study. This category alone does not justify the expense of a reader unless they are doing higher studies, or that it be required by a superior.
Novels are a passion. This alone is justification to any extraneous expense. In these days of continual media bombardment, the time needed to apply at reading is shorter, and passions are different.
While growing up in a small rural community, with lots of time at hand, reading was the only way to keep sane. I read a lot! I had to! Today unless you are asocial or disfunctional in voluntary or unvoluntary way, there is to much to do. I can understand why many young people don't read, I probably would do the same, but fortunately I love books. I wish every one would do too.

An e-reader is too expensive to be a toy, they won't buy it unless it's required for a higher purpose, or that it comprises a slew of bells and whistles like most toys they grew up with, but that is a touchy philosophical subject I rather not discuss here.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote