View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #74
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Just a few things about myself.

I used DOS. (There I said it, but I take my pills regularly and use a cane when necessary.)
I was slow to adapt to Windows until 95 came along on a 1.3GB (or 1.6GB?) hard drive, but have since only skipped Vista, and not yet decided on W8.

I saw Apple (the IIe) and then the MAC and Lisa and it appeared to me that they were nice and easy for people not used to computers to use, however to me they appeared to be like shiny little sports cars that could go really fast down a flat track, but were way too expensive. Also they had their hoods welded shut, and you had to have a license to put air in the tires.

I more or less skipped the "texting" craze and then the SmartPhones preferring to talk though I actually did have a couple of PDAs (non phone) years ago.

The new (2nd coming of Jobs) iOS was interesting but still too similar to the previous era, and the phones and iPod Touches worked really great when I would set them up for friends and relative, but at too great cost I thought.

Linux and the like seem to me to be for programmers, Geeks, and Trons. Then Android came and simplified things and it seemed to be more for the "common guy." The guy like me who started out as a aircraft mechanic and then learned to fly.
I dipped my toe in with the Kindle and I loved it. I even have a Samsung Galaxy 7+ that I sometimes get to use when it is out of somebody else's hands. I got a used Android 1 a month or so ago for $36 total just to try out a small mobile tablet device. I don't intend to "activate" the phone part though it reminds me I should each time I start it up. (I will try out new stuff.) Funny thing happened. I went to my doctor this week and he actually has WiFi in his office so I could browse the war in the MidEast while I was there. I knew it was at restaurants, coffee houses and even grocery stores, but Doctor's Offices? Wow!

To cut to the chase, I have tried a lot of machines and am now even looking very intently at the Chrome OS and the Chrome machines. Trying out all the bits and pieces, the applications on my desktop. Getting ready to grab a piece of the cloud with a 2nd machine to see how the data and the machines sync. In particular I am looking at the Chromebook C7 by acer for $199 If it had a better battery I would guarantee you that I would have one by Christmas and replace my netbook.

I am not stuck on any machine but I am cost driven.

I tell my friends that Amazon and Google probably make a little money on their hardware but that is not their main concern, not their profit center so I think the way to go is with their hardware. They also seem to give away their software, so you only have to pay for what you want to add to their systems, and for me what I want seems to be mainly free.

You could do an inventory on my rolling, floating, and flying stock, and say I had a lot of bucks, but it goes back to that old saying about farmers that I heard my dad and uncles say. "Dirt rich and penny poor." I have to watch those pennies, especially those monthly charges.