View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Tango Mike
Enthusiast
Tango Mike began at the beginning.

Device: none
Correcting for a missing line break

Newbie to Sigil wants to learn how to do this. Here's the scenario:

I'm using Mac OS 10.6.3 and Sigil 0.4.2 (just downloaded the newest, not installed yet). I layout the book in MS Word 2008, save as filtered HTML, open that in Sigil, add chapter breaks, generate the TOC, save as EPUB and convert it to MOBI. This process works for me and creates final products that appear exactly as I want them to. So far so good.

In the DOC file, I use a single extra return on occasion to space a bullet list or extended quote, for example, from the main body text above and below. Yesterday I noted that the EPUB an MOBI versions of my current project were missing one of these returns used to separate a warning notice from the main body text. I found the error in Sigil book view and traced it to the source DOC file.

In the past, I've corrected the DOC and gone through the process again, which I can do fairly quickly, but it's obviously a case of newbie make-work by not understanding how to do this efficiently.

So with the EPUB open in book view, I added the single extra return under the mistaken impression that this would result in a corresponding change in the code and fix the problem. I saved it, opened it in Adobe Digital Editions and found the problem still exists. I went back to the EPUB in Sigil and it appears to me that there is a line break where there should be in code view.

I have attached three screenshots of the EPUB in Sigil book view, code view, and in ADE. Can someone help me understand what's wrong with the code and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book view in Sigil.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	86196   Click image for larger version

Name:	code view.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	86197   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE view.jpg