Thread: Which processor
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAutoPilot View Post
I've been all over the flatcomputing web site and I can't see any actual information that says they are a US company...did I miss something?

Regardless, they have to import them from the same suppliers as everyone else, I would think. As far as warranty is concerned, I don't know...

Sorry, I have this thing about always trying to find the lowest price.
Oops... yep flatcomputing is supposed to be located in Austin. Their $275 price includes a 1y warranty which you don't get from most other vendors. I think that mp4nation(only has the Apad iRobot ATM(Rockchip 2808A) which is currently stuck at Android 1.5 and unlikely to beyond that...) warrants their products as well.

I'm thinking that the Freedom A10 MIGHT be a Zenithink ZT-180 tablet re-branded.

The only other choice for a tablet based in the US is the Pandigital Novel which would be significantly slower, but can be had from Kohls, Bed Bath & Beyond, and apparently other chain stores eventually. You can use a BBB 30% off coupon on it and they have a $20 MIR IIRC, which makes it c. $115 (until 8/10 IIRC). I think that you can get a discount at Kohls too but it may only be if you use a Kohls card and they have a MIR of $15 IIRC but Kohls works out to be slightly cheaper. Kohls stopped selling these for a while and I'm not sure if they ever started selling them again as I haven't gotten around to checking stores for the PDN yet, especially since I'm not thinking the A10 or possibly waiting a bit longer to also see what the ASUS & MSI android tablets are like IF they are ever marketed.

PDN has a non-Cortex A8 CPU (forget which offhand) @ 533MHz IIRC, and seems to be fairly hackable.

Beyond that there's the Archos tablets, which have builtin hdds, but no SD/uSD slots as far as I've read. Sounds like the Internet Tablet 5 is the way to go on those. They 5 tablet is @ Android 1.6 IIRC and has a 800MHz Cortex A8 processor + 430MHz DSP. The price is between the A10 & PDN dependent upon which internal hdd model you order, but I'd investigate Archos before buying and read their archosfan forums.

[EDIT]
Location is given on their facebook page:
Quote:
Flat Computing, is one of the nation-wide leading flat tablet system manufacturers. We are the fastest growing private company in Austin, Texas...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote