View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #64
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchalaZeal View Post
Two simple words. Sirantha Jax. ^_^ The six-book series is written by Ann Aguirre, who's popular in urban fantasy and paranormal romance genres. Fabulous, highly accessible, complex but not overly complicated. I often say that Aguirre writes science fiction for those not used to reading science fiction. HIGHLY recommend this for your friend.

The Sirantha Jax series:

Grimspace
Wanderlust
Doubleblind
Killbox
Aftermath
Engame

A different suggestion:

If she's coming from literary fiction, then Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale is a classic and great place to start. Meaty, but not so deeply sci-fi that it would lose a reader not used to the genre.

And one more for kicks: The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
by Neal Stephenson. Because it has a female protagonist and tackles some fascinating issues. All while being entertaining.
I second the Margaret Atwood suggestion. I will also add "Oryx and Crake" and "The Year of the Flood", also by Margaret Atwood, and perhaps even "The Blind Assassin" as well, which is not a sci-fi book by itself but contains a sci-fi story within a story, and is a pleasure to read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote