Thread: Touch Kobo Touch Firmware 2.0
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1333
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
The way that I updated the firmware is exactly how the release does it, unless Kobo has managed to completely change the game. Running firmware can't be updated. Nobody updating from 1.9.x to 2.1.4 has reported a two-stage update. Also, if the release process is that different from the beta install, how are they testing the release? Only internally? That would be poor.
No it isn't. The desktop application can update the database on the device before putting the firmware onto it. Plus it makes sure it gets firmware suitable for your device.

And you can do a firmware update via WiFi. It downloads the update and then prompts to restart. Then the install happens. And no, I don't know how the database changes are handled in this situation.

As to the 1.9.x to 2.1.4 updates, I don't think I have seen one mentioned that wasn't a broken manual update. But, someone has mentioned they saw a double restart during their update. And there will be devices that need a two-stage update. There is an issue with some devices sold mainly in Australia. These require an intermediate firmware before going to 2.1.4. There has been a couple of reports of the intermediate firmware, 2.0.4, being rolled out.

I don't know how Kobo test the release install. I have not been involved with that. After the problems installing 2.0.0 and how few problems have been reported with installing 2.1.4, I assume they did work something out. Actually, I don't think I have seen a single installation problem with 2.1.4 when it was done through the official channels.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote