View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
There seems to be a problem with the GutenMark download pages. I don't suppose anyone has a copy of either the OSX compiled tarball or the Windows compiled Zip that they could upload?

My simple primitive approach to the curly quotes problem was to do a replace all on the '."' ',"' '?"' and then when I've eliminated all the right-hand double quotes simply do a replace all on the left hand double quotes. Similar approach to single quotes and apostrophes.
It is worth remembering that "curly quotes" are not a part of the standard ASCII character set, and hence their display is code page dependent (unless one is dealing with Unicode, of course). They will display correctly on the "Latin 1" code page that most English speaking, and Western European, countries use, but not elsewhere.

It's best to stick with straight ASCII quotes if you want everyone to be able to display your book correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote