View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
wowen
wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager13 View Post
Thanks for your response guys, the question though still remains, how can I replace the battery? Even though the Iriver Story comes with a strong lithium battery, there will come a time when it will need to be replaced. That's the time am talking about.
I think the idea is that time will never happen in the lifetime of the product due to the immense battery life.

If the battery lasts you two weeks of use before recharge and that will be 25 charges per year, if has a recharge cycle of 300 to 500 times then you have 12 to 20 years of life. But more realistically I think the battery life will drop over time, but I would guess 5-6 years useful life is to be expected.

I suppose the manufacturers are expecting progress to be like phones, we will all be moving to newer sexier devices within 2-5 years and the battery lifetime will be irrelevant so the need to add the manufacturing cost by making it exchangeable isn't needed.

I think realistically it won't be long before color e-ink with video playback capability is here, and monochrome e-ink devices become better and cheaper to the point where they become almost disposable devices costing $30-40.

Yes, its a bit cheap of them, but realistically it shouldn't be a problem.
wowen is offline   Reply With Quote