View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
enriquep
Connoisseur
enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How are you updating those versions, because the minute you click OK after dropping a new version into the metadata editor, the Modified date (time stamp) gets bumped.
(This is probably irrelevant, but in all cases I am talking of ePub files).

Calibre is my default app for ePub files, so I double click on xxxxx.epub, and it is just added and automerged; I have "Overwrite existing" selected by default, so the warning popup appears. I click OK - and that's it. End of the story.

If the file I have just added is a new "version" of an existing file and I now sort my library by "Modified">"Descending" the file I have just added will not be at the top of the list. I've just checked (again) a few seconds ago.

I don't know if the Preserve the date when using the "Copy to library" action to copy books between libraries setting (Also in the "Adding books" tab) can have anything to do with this, but I've experimented and have not observed any changes.

And, yes, we're talking of the same "Modified" Column, the one that does not appear by default.

The whole story, in short, is that very often I add improved versions of existing books - mainly with minor spelling / editing errors: The "new" versions are usually very similar to the "old" ones. In 99% of cases with no changes in title / author spelling and in 95% of cases with no changes in cover or metadata. When they DO have minor changes in title or author there is no problem, because they show up as "new" books (and it is my problem to detect them as duplicates), but when they don't they just seem to replace the existing version (and in fact they do: I do number versions within the book and check occassionally, the process works OK) BUT, for some reason, Calibre seems to ignore that the file has been updated. The "new" file can exceptionally have the same name as the old one by mistake, but even when it doesn't (usually they are appended with version code, vx.x) there's no change in "updated" column, no change anywhere.

Since I don't edit all the new versions (we are a group of people who, as a hobby, adapt Spanish classics to a strict ePub standard) I like to review all the newly versioned files - for example, to see if the cover has been changed (not common, but can happen) and, if so, to make it Calibre's default. But now (and since there is no way to "automatically" know what files have been replaced) I have to stop adding files every time the warning popup appears, manually search for the file, check, and then continue adding files.

Last edited by enriquep; 10-27-2011 at 12:50 PM.
enriquep is offline   Reply With Quote