Thread: multiple copies
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Hi Niraj,

thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirax View Post
first of all let me thank you for this excellent addon. However there are a few issues I would like to draw your attention to.

1. this addon creates a copy of the file in profile directory. moreover if that file (the copy) is accessed, one more copy of it created. for someone who has many EPUBs, this will result in multiple copies of the same file leading to unneccessary wastage of space. instead of copying the file it is desirable to create a shortcut (or soft link).
You are right and you are not the first who mentioned it . I'll change it that way: if you open the same ePub file again (the ePub book id is checked) via File open or you download it, no additional copy will be made, but the old version will be overwritten. Additionally I could remove the original ePub-file because it's no longer needed after it has been process by EPUBReader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirax View Post
2. this addon has changed the default behaviour of EPUB files to directly open ... this is a problem if one wants to download the file to his PC in a preferred location. you may say that "right click -> save link" would rectify the problem. however some sites (manybooks.net) do not send a permalink to the file but instead dynamically generate data from a script. so it becomes impossible to download the file. sure it is downloaded in the profile directory (but the download is not logged in the download manager!!) but it is a pain in the ass to go to the profile directory in case one wants to copy in in a USB-stick or open with another reader.

I hope the above is counted as genuine concern. i think it would be a nice idea to have a 'options' configurator where one can set how to handle files got directly from internet and files opened from PC.

Niraj
To be honest: it was one of the hardest parts to get it working, that not the "open" dialog pops up, but the file is downloaded and processed . In my opinion this is one of the main benefits when you use EPUBReader. The downside of this is, like you mentioned, that the original ePub-file is only stored in the profiles directory. Due to security reasons it's not possible for an addon to store the file anywhere else.

It would be easy to change it that way, that one can configure, what should be happen when you click on an ePub-file on a website. If you don't like that the file is processed by EPUBReader directly, the Firefox "open" dialog would open and you could store the file where you want.

What do other people think about that solution? Any other ideas?

Michael
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote