View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #121
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The two ARM Chromebooks use a Samsung chip that's more usually found in tablets and phones. I had a look at the technical manual and it would appear that it can address up to 4GB RAM, but various reviews I've read have said that the maximum the chipset could handle was 2GB. . . . The rumours are that the next generation ARM Chromebooks from Samsung are going to be able to address more memory.
If I understand you and ApK correctly, Chromebooks can be augmented in terms of RAM and drive space, but if RAM's a priority, then one must be careful to choose a Chromebook with a processor that can handle the upgrade.

In an age of miniaturization, I'd have thought that Chromebooks would be designed to avoid allowing people those options. Awfully glad to know they aren't. Does anyone have links to sites, blogs or user posts in which people detail their upgrades? I used to see that sort of thing done to netbooks on Bit-Tech and the Sammy Netbooks Forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
(This stunting of the ability to add memory for Chromebooks makes me think that some of the semi-Machiavellian theories about the big PC companies changing PCs into appliances that have to be replaced every 2 years, and also moving all computing power to the cloud isn't totally overblown.)
As much as I respect and admire Niccolò Machiavelli, his name is usually invoked whenever someone does something clandestine and unscrupulously self-serving.

Do you mean that the theories are about Machiavellian strategies or that they themselves are Machiavellian? If the theories as opposed to the strategies were Machiavellian, then I'd expect them either to celebrate the ingenuity of planned obsolescence or engineer some nefarious end through their meticulously calibrated sociopolitical effect.

BTW: I'm not trying to be a usage Nazi (see next parenthetical) so much as sort out what people mean when they use the word Machiavellian. (Godwin and I have always considered it unfair that the term is two gradations away from Hitlerian!)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-20-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote