View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #361
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohforf View Post
Here's what's bothering me:
I always turn off my PW when not in use by pressing the power button for 7s. I think it saves more power this way, but I could be wrong. Now, from what I understand, the covers put it to sleep, which means it goes to the screensaver?
If I turn it off and then close the cover, will it stay off, go to sleep or turn itself back on?
With the cover closed, and assuming it goes into screensaver mode, can I turn it off?
Short answer, NO, you cannot turn the Paperwhite off ever. Why? Even when pushing power button for 7 seconds, the PW does NOT turn off. It merely enters sleep mode with a white screen instead of normal screensaver image or ad. The only ways to truely turn off the PW is to remove the battery, or exhaust the battery completely. Both methods are, of course, not recommended.

That said the white screen sleep mode has advantages - it does not show ads, and it can still be entered when screensaver is disabled. And no, disabling screensaver will not prevent PW to wake up with cover magnet, it just won't go to sleep until you push button for the 7 seconds.

Quote:
It's kind of hard for me to accept the auto wake function though. Just because I have the cover is open doesn't mean I want to read something...

Should I look further for some nice non-auto wake/sleep covers or am I being too picky?
In that case you should get a cover w/o magnet, or remove the magnet if you can.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote