Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Wow!!!!!
. People should not follow the way to an abyss.
My point is that nobody could go after Calibre for they convert formats.
Just as nobody could go after me for breaking my LP into 2 pieces.
To clarify. My understanding is that you own the physical media...be it the eReader hardware, DVD disc, LP...etc. But you do not own the soft-contents.
The LP, DVD etc..is just the way in which it it delivered to you.
If you want to smash your LPs, great...feel free. However, you may not replicate that LP (or whatever) and distribute it or especially sell those copies for profit. That is the big no-no.
If you choose to sell the original LP, it is understood that you sell the rights to the contents as well. So although making a single personal 'back-up' is a generally accepted right these days (though I think it remains a legal grey area) you would not be legally allowed to keep any back-ups of material you no longer own the original of.

I looked this morning, and my Kobo had about 121 pages of credits, but mainly legalese in the "About" section regarding licenses and rights and whatnot. Much credit to the Kobo people for trying to forward an open format existence but even they don't own some of the software on the Kobo. It's largely licensed. Some of it is free-to-distribute and some of it is not i.e. Adobe.

As for other matters, I don't know a whole lot about Calibre, but have used it a bit here and there and think it's a wonderfully versatile and powerful program. To the person who said that Calibre does not "strip" DRM, I am only going on what I have read, but if the DRM applied to an ePub follows the conversion to Mobi and back to ePub then you are indeed correct. You are merely circumventing the DRM. Somehow, though, I imagine that when eBook is, as some of you idealistically say "liberated" of it's DRM, the change is permanent. If that is not the case then I guess I've learned something new today.

That's it, I'm done on this...it's OT.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote