View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
I've been using the Sony PRS-505 for some time now, and I've had access to only pdf files (I know pdf sucks, but it's all I get from the library).

I've had several problems:

1. The size - My pdf files come in A4 sized pages, so when I put it in the reader, it works as other people have said - the entire A4 page shrinks to fit the tiny screen.

Default size for pdf is S(small) so, pressing the magnify button takes size to M(medium) by reflow. I am not sure how this works.

When this happens, one page in the pdf turns into 4 page turns, but the page number at the bottom does not reflect that.

For example you are reading a 200 page book. Suppose you are in the 150th page. When reading at 'M' magnification, you hit the next page button four times, read four pages, before the actual page number changes.

I hope this is clear enough.

2. Time- this is the most irritating thing for a speed reader like me - it takes roughly 3-5 seconds for each page turn to occur and this is extrememly frustrating, especially because I just switched to ereaders from actual books.

I can't compare it to the Kindle 2 because no one I know has one, but I would never buy just because of the way it looks. The Kindle looks cheap with its white plastic, while the PRS-505 looks and feels a lot better - Leather covers, Metal casing - it's cool.
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote