View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Guys. (lost my link to this page hence my delay in coming back ..)

I am a Mac user so it's not the prettiness of the app UI that annoys and frustrates me. It is the cluttered interface with rows of buttons horizontaly and vertically and tech terms all over the place. As mentioned by BetterRed, who the heck knows what Meta Data is ? I mean come on ? I know what it mans but I have been in computers for >30 years.

I am seeing the new arrivals to the world of eBooks on a regular basis in my social and professional network. People who have computers but can only switch them on, start their browser and open skype. That's it. And in the coming years eBooks and ereaders are going to explode in this kind of demographic.

These users need something that uses plain english. Something that doesn't pack the screen with every function known to man and only shows what needs to be shown at that moment. Book Information and not Meta Data. Where a right click on a title doesn't open a list of options longer than Photoshop. Where format names like Mobi and ePub and AZW etc etc are de-highlighted in favour of device names. A user doesn't want to create an AZW, they want to change to a Kindle Format. Same for other devices.

A user wants to look at the library and know which title is on which device now. or see clearly that there is a library for each device. Maybe a drag and drop from one library to an icon of the Kindle or Kobo or iPhone etc.

Calibre could then include an expert mode where those with advanced knowledge can play away to their hearts content with all of the formats, tech terms and options ... while normal people can enjoy a simplified UI with fewer buttons, fewer options and ordinary English.

And the same goes for the plug in system. Even I am baffled by the plugin system. And .... what is it with the updates ? One friend abandoned his kindle solely because he was driven crazy by the regularity of these updates !

Hey .. I don't say all of this for me. I'm fine. I'll manage. But the world is changing and I believe there is a HUGE appetite for a different Calibre.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote