View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #81
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
I would be really curious to learn if a Sharpie produces a layer that is opaque enough to block all or at least almost all the light. I thought about this too but doubt that it works well. That is why I never even tried.

The paint I used is called "Ceramica - ceramic paint". That is a craft paint made in Germany. I guess that it's probably me using the wrong painting technique or the wrong and/or the wrong paint brush to apply the paint.

Although it is still unfinished I tried the lightwedge last night in bed. With only the triangular edges blackened it only helps to reduce the light spill to a good degree. Maybe it is just that I pay more attention to this at this stage, I think that this state actually increases the shading. At this stage of modification the cones of light from the LEDs become more visible. For a test I put a finger on top of the left edge. In the area where the finger covered the bright edge the shading was much improved. Apparently it is necessary to block the bright frame on top of the glass surface to improve brightness uniformity. I have to test what works best -- black or white color.

Regarding the cleaning: I used 70% isopropyl alcohol to remove all grease and dirt from the surface. This worked well. Normally I would use some dish liquid.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote