View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
How exactly is Zinio different than PDF, other than Zinio being a weird, proprieatary, DRM-laden format?
I'm no fan of Zinio myself but a lot of the corporate publishing types seem to like it precisely because it is a weird, proprietary, DRM-laden format from which it is extremely hard (if at all possible) to extract anything from.
Plus it does video and audio in ways they like.

http://img.zinio.com/corporate/products.html

I'm hardly endorsing Zinio when I say there is room in the market for something a whole lot more flexible and malleable than plain old pretend paper for formatting-intensive content. If anything, I'm writing it off, along with PDF, because after all these years floating around it hasn't gotten much traction. As things go, it's losing ground to app-books and app-mags, which shows a lot of corporate disatisfaction with the product and/or its business model.

What the market needs is a reader/format combo that is smart enough to adjust its *layout* according to the device and mode it is being displayed on. (And maybe give the reader a bit of say. It *is* his or her's money that is paying for the content, after all.) This *is* doable with no real magic or labor-intensive hand-coding but it does require some forethought and savvy.

It may be that Blio does it.
But the only way to know, is to wait for the thing to go live and see what the product and its associated business model looks like. (The thing could end up like Wolfram Alpha; a "product" without a market.)

Me, I can think of two ways to do it but I'm going to wait-n-see how Kurzweil's operation does it. (Not going to give him any free advice until I see how he intends to make the world safe for formating-dependent content.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-19-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote