Thread: The Hanlin V5
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
NOR memory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#NOR_flash

I believe the NOR RAM is used to host the operating system. NOR ram is a type of ROMRAM, can be closest compared to FLASH memory; It can only be electrically erased (so data stays remnant in the memory,even with power down).

I believe the operating system, as well as firmware upgrades are located on a separate or uploaded to the internal disk. From there the operating system (small linux kernel) will load in the NOR.
It is true that most firmware takes 4 or 8MB of ram, but perhaps with good code, displaying PDF/JPG/ebook formats and text could be loaded in 2MB of NOR.

It could also be that the firmware (Operating system) operates straight from the internal flash memory, and that OS parameters like amount of books, booklocation, settings, etc are loaded in the NOR ram. After powerdown or standby the info stays in the NOR.
When resetting the device the NOR gets flushed, and the operating system will load from the flash file, (without the NOR data it will result in a factory default OS).

I suspect it's one of those two functions are for the NOR RAM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote