View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
horrormall
horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
A few points...

1. Do you feel that a pirated version is a lost sale? Would a person that steals the ebook have bought it in the first place?
No, it's the distribution of stolen goods that is more likely problematic.

Quote:
2. Given that pretty much every DRM scheme has been cracked. What are you actually gaining by using DRM other than some false sense of security?
I'm not concerned about Hacks as I am every day readers. It's much easier to attach a PDF to a friend or mass distribute it from multiple source than just one hacked file. Throw in the economy and the overall sweeping false sense of entitlement that a great majority of Americans (as well as others) seem to have these days (I should get bailed out for free, I deserve everything, especially on the internet, for free)...this becomes very hurtful to starving artists / authors.

We're not talking musicians who make millions getting ripped off; we're talking authors who make (if lucky) thousands.

Quote:
3. Do you realize how much DRM inhibits your customers from using the ebook as they would like on the device of their choice?
Yes I do.

Quote:
4. Are you aware that there are ebook version on the "darknet" of books that have never even been published as ebooks because the author was worried about piracy? The Harry Potter books being a case in point?
Yes, but which is easier to do. Me send you a PDF and you forward it to several of your friends, or you buy the print edition, scan every page and run it through an OCR? If you want to do the latter, you've at least worked for it! ;-)

BOb[/QUOTE]
horrormall is offline   Reply With Quote