View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #145
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
EE start up issues

I am wondering if I will gain anything by upgrading from Universal 0.4 to your version 0.5?

My EE starts up normally, goes to 3 dots, shows the initializing screen on the E-inc, goes to 4 dots, opens the LCD screen normally, shows preparing the SD card, cannot unlock the screen, EE sits for about 20 seconds and reverts to 4 dots, still initializing the Eink, returns to the normal locked LCD screen, wait 20 seconds again, and it reverts to 4 dots again, still initializing the Eink, back to the locked LCD screen, now can unlock, network connected, still initializing Eink. Eink initialized, still waiting for SD card to be prepared. At this point I can open the device storage to load a book, even though there seems to be no retention of the previously read books.

This seems to be the result of installing Universal 0.4, would or could this improve by installing Universal 0.5? Can I install it directly over Universal 0.4, or do I have to do a reset and start from Dingo?

The situation is bearable, but annoying...

Thanks for any insights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
A friend of mine got new full size edge and asked me to install latest upgrades on it. I decided to take this opportunity to update allmine to a single installer for both pocket and full edges. Here it is, attached to this post.

Improvements:
  • Works on both models producing normal update animation (without chilling video effects on full size edge)
  • Correctly sets up serial number on full size edge
  • Installs fix for frame buffer permissions to allow user applications (such as orion viewer) to display on eink
  • Correctly restarts device when installation is finished

Installation instructions from original pe-only version still apply. In brief, just install it right after installing ermine update. Installation itself takes about 3 minutes, but first restart after that takes longer than usual, maybe 5 minutes, do not panic.

It also shall be quite safe to install this on top of previously installed allmine just to fix frame buffer permissions without dealing with command line.

All usual disclaimers apply - your mileage may vary (wildly, depending on what you already have on your device).

Update 2013-03-12: Created new version that includes fix to allow applications to read input from hardware buttons on reader side, and input from wacom pen.

Additionally includes fix for native browser on EE to prevent crashing on javascript intensive sites as described in this post.

Version bumped to 0.5.

Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote