View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #414
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
It is not epub vs kepub, or Aura vs Glo, or even Aura vs Sony that matters, but Aura vs Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo's main competitor. If I was the Aura product manager, I would be worried. "What do you mean, our flagship reader, with the biggest screen yet, shows less text than the Kindle?" Fortunately for Kobo this is a software problem and not a hardware problem. The hardware is great, the software is...improving and can be made better than the Kindle.
I agree with you on this. I have a KPW - got a good one with no lighting issues. I have compared my Aura to my Glo and prefer the light on the Aura (Glo is too blue) and I get 4 more lines of text on the Aura than on the Glo. I am happy with that, my eyesight is not good enough to allow me to max out the available text per page). But I have not compared the Aura with my KPW. I will have to give that a try. I would hope to get more than 1 extra line of text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Regarding paragraph spacing (white space between paragraphs). I prefer to remove this myself (using Sigil), and would not trust code (Calibre, Kobo firmware etc) to do it. It is simple enough to set margin-top and margin-bottom to 0 on p elements, but this affects all paragraphs, not just the main body text. You end up with scrunched up table of contents, headings, title pages etc, which does not look pretty.
I like the some white space between paragraphs because it makes it easier for me to read, but I don't want that spacing to too big. So it's good to be able to adjust it to suit.

Reading through this thread reminds me why I chose a Kobo when I wanted to replace my Sony PRS650. I wanted an ereader that supported the epub format, allowed me to buy from any store I chose, and gave me lots of options for customisation of fonts, margins etc. While the recent changes to Kobo's rendering of epubs is not a major issue for me, I can understand why it annoys other folk. Those of us who are not bothered by/like the book title header have enough options to keep us happy. However, I think Kobo needs to rethink its most recent changes. If they want to market their offering as a more open platform, with more freedom of choice than their competitors, then they really should make the title bar on epubs an opt in/out feature that users can choose for themselves.

Last edited by Breid; 05-16-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Attempt to fix quotes
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote