View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Fisch
Fisch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Manga E-reader, help needed!

This is my first post in this great forum, so, first of all I wanna say hi to everyone. Second, I don't want to start by upsetting anyone: I have read most of the other threads on this particular topic and I just have a few more specific questions.

I am looking for an ebook reader mostly for mangas (but also for novels) and the choice is driving me crazy. I understood (from the other posts) and agreed that I need at least a 8-9 inch screen and I am willing to buy a "true" e-reader: e-ink tecnology no TFT tablet or things like that.

The only ereaders that meet this requirement, as far as I now, are KindleDX, Asus DR-900, PB902 and Irex DR 800. I would avoid the latter because it is hard to find and the complete lack of support is a little too extreme. I really like the Kindle, but the lacks of reflow on PDFs and expandable memory are really holding me back. Among them all I really prefer is the ASUS because of its smaller dimension and weight but the screen seems to be a huge issue.

First big question: screens. As far as reading comics in good light conditions, are there really so many differences between pearl (kindle), sipix (asus) and vizplex (pb)? I have seen a kindle3 and a nook in a store and I couldn't really tell the difference, should I be worrying for my eyes?

Second: software. I know that the DR-900 is basically being beta-tested by my unlucky italian compratiots, I have briefly read that Pocketbook's readers have a lot of issues as well are these even close to the ones of the asus?

Third: the PB. I can't find some complete specs of the 902, I'd like to know: does it supoort CBR/CBZ archives? what is the PB903? (it seems to not exist anymore, so I can't understand wheter the 902 as a touch iput and if it is wacom or something else). Last, does anyone knows if shipping within US is free (from www.pocketbookreader.com) or where to buy it otherwise?

Finally, given that the prices are quite similar, which one would you suggest?
Thanks in advance...
Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote