View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) 3G / iPad 9 WiFi / Google Pixel 6a (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
1) You do realize that the recipe removes advertisements and other less relevant content, don't you?
I don't remember seeing any ads in the brand eins archive, but it's possible that Adblock plus just hides them from me.

Apart from that I would consider the removal of ads as a feature.

Quote:
2) In addition to removing advertisements, many recipes remove related links. I remove them when I write a recipe, but I may want to look at them for some articles.
My goal for the brand eins recipe is to create a substitute for the official EPUB version of the brand eins magazine, which doesn't exist yet (they only sell the printed magazine).

Fortunatly it's rather easy, as all content of back issues is available as html pages in their online archive.

The EPUB should be self contained, having all relevant content of the web pages (which hopefully have all relevant content of the printed magazine) included in the EPUB. What the recipe is removing is just the web framework for navigation etc. which is shown on the brand eins webpage, but not in the printed magazine, so it's neither necessary nor wanted in the EPUB either.

If everything interesting is included in the EPUB, there is no point having a link to the source webpage, as I wouldn't follow it because there is nothing to gain.

Of course there should be some credit to calibre included in the generated EPUB plus a link to the index web page we used to fetch the content, but this should be included only once at the beginning and/or the end of the EPUB , not on every single page.

Ciao,
Steffen
siebert is offline   Reply With Quote