View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff View Post
Yeah, I'm working on 2 things at the moment:
  • Running X11-programs on the Kindle
    I already got a KDrive X server with xdaliclock and xterm to run, but the display does not auto-refresh. Maybe I can tweak the Kindle's framebuffer driver to refresh automatically if the framebuffer contents are changing.
  • Using the Kindle as my secondary monitor(for coding etc.)
    This was my primary reason for buying the Kindle.
    I plan to write a simple "framebuffer server" running on the Kindle which listens for network connections. If a packet with display contents is received, the data will be written into the Kindle's framebuffer.
    The client will be a framebuffer Linux Kernel module which simulates a framebuffer of the same size as the Kindle's display and forwards the display contents to the Kindle's IP via UDP.
    The server on the Kindle side is already working and I can already modprobe the module at the client side, but X11 does not seem to detect the Kernel module. But I hope I'll sort this issue out next weekend :-)
Wow using the Kindle as a second monitor would be like a dream for me D=

If you ever get it working, I would want it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote