View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #47
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Although I rarely participate in these types of "debates," I, too, opted in. I don't find it difficult to either see the thread topic or a post or two and decide to ignore.

My biggest problem with political and religious debates is that they really aren't debates; they are simply statements of one's unprovable or unconvincing position broadcast to the world. They tend to reinforce one's personal beliefs and perceptions rather than persuade one to shift positions.

But they are lively and when done with a certain amount of detachment (as opposed to religious and political fervor), they can be both entertaining and educating. And contrary to the general belief that such debates have no connection with ebooks, I think they can definitely have a positive connection. I know that as a result of prior discussions, I have gone out and bought books on the discussed topic just to become better informed -- I haven't changed my position, but I have become better informed and have in the process acquired more books .