View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp View Post
3. Would it be possible to have a sync mode, with which the library is mirrored onto the device?
Certainly not by default. My library will not fit on my device, and I would be very unhappy if calibre deleted books explicit action from me. I have considered adding a 'make my device look like this selection' or perhaps 'make my device look like this yes/no column', but it the idea hasn't risen above the waterline yet, and likely won't.
Quote:
5. Wouldn't it be better if the reset quick search button was hidden when no search is active?
No, at least for me. I don't like buttons to come and go, or to move around.
Quote:
10. What is the little question button in the window frame in the categories dialog? When clicked, it simply shows a forbidden sign whichever control you hover.
The Qt toolkit adds it to the title bar by default (Nasty Qt! Bad Qt! Stop that!). It is in all the dialogs. I have removed it from the ones that I did, but there are many more.
Quote:
13. For the save search feature, we could perhaps have just a save button, and then an input asking for a name under which to save the search? Then the saved search list could be made a simple dropdown, and not a combo-box?
I am not interested in making this change, but you are welcome to do so.
Quote:
16. On the edit metadata box, could there possibly be a text to indicate that there are different values for the selected books? As in mp3tag for example, where there are two special items added to the combo box when values differ for a fiels, < Keep >, and < Clear >. I find those very convenient
I assume that you are talking about the bulk edit dialog? I don't have a need for <keep>, but <clear> would be useful. The text-multiple custom columns already have something equivalent (a check box), but the non-multiple columns do not. Note that for non-multiple columns, if all the books have the same value, that value is displayed. Text-multiple don't do that. With some amount of work they could, but it isn't something I find interesting.
Quote:
17. The delete key (at least for me, on windows 7) seems to delete the contents of a tag fiels, not delete the book. Is this normal?
No. Doesn't do that for me on Win7/32 Pro.

A lot of what gets added to calibre come from people who want some particular functionality. There isn't much incentive for us-who-volunteer to add things that we won't use or that aren't interesting simply because it presents an interesting challenge (like cloud storage of libraries). The best way for you to get what you want is to do it yourself and submit it to Kovid for inclusion.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote