View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #522
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe we should do a Kickstarter project to earn a statue for Alf. Because of him, I can convert and read epubs on my Kindle.

Seriously. That guy can't get enough praise (assuming he created all the DRM-scripts). Without those scripts/plugins, I probably wouldn't even buy a single ebook at the bigger stores because of my "I don't buy any content that can't be unlocked"-policy.
I understand they were written by iLoveCabbages and the Dark Reverser, Apprentice Alf did the Calibre plugins.

DRM was originally intended to protect the rights of authors, publishers and the public. The idea was we would have a single eBook format: ePub was generally agreed on, and one form of DRM: Adobe Adept. But the big eBook stores, principally Amazon and Barnes and Noble, invented their own eBook format in the case of Amazon and their own proprietary DRM to force people to buy all their books from their respective stores. Hence the need to remove DRM, but the original idea was sound.

It seems clear from this discussion that the CS people at Kobo have no authority to make a decision. (Must be a miserable job about now.) How about we give them a break and stop blaming them for things beyond their control. I used to love Kobo until Nook lured me away. I'm happy to be coming back.

BTW, things like this are frustrating but Kobo is not the only place with rotten CS and we all know it.

Last edited by 6charlong; 04-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote