View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post
There are a number of books which I am uncomfortable with, sometimes it is the subject matter, sometimes the language. There seems to be a tendency these days for many books to add a large number of swear words - which (except in a few cases where it may be in context) should never be acceptable.

The problems with erotica is that some of it is so disgusting that it should not be put in print, however as people become more and more exposed to it they become immune to it.

I would not say that I am a prude as such, however my views have not changed much over the years, but it would seem that other people's views have, and things which would not have been acceptable at all a number of years ago, seem to be almost normal now.

There should be a degree of self censorship by the authors themselves, and this type of book should only be available to people who are actively looking for it, and not show up in general searches for everyone else.
If something makes you uncomfortable, by all means don't read it. But your discomfort with a book doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be able to read it.

People's attitudes have changed about a great many things. People used to think slavery and segregation were acceptable. Slavery and segregation were seen as normal. There were people who thought it was a terrible, terrible thing that people's attitudes were changing. What people want to read is their own business, not mine, and not yours. Don't confuse being disgusted with something being disgusting, they aren't the same.

If you take a look at Victorian erotica, you would say that it really hasn't gotten more extreme.

I do think that you should be able to avoid erotica if you don't want it, but it should be opt-out rather than opt-in. Smashwords allows you to exclude erotica, but it doesn't force ghettoize erotica by making you opt-in. Authors don't need to censor anything for anyone. What books people want to read is between the author and the reader.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote