Thread: PRS-T1 Sony PRS T1 Charger
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #48
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
As has been pointed out by several others already, your Sony will charge properly when connected to a charger meeting the current international worldwide standard for USB charging devices.

These standard chargers have the two data pins on the USB jack shorted together to tell the device that it's connected to a higher current charging device.

More than likely, the charger you tried that will not work was designed to work with Apple devices using an incompatible earlier arrangement which screws up its compatibility with your Sony and most other newer devices that check for a charger using the new and now-standard method.

If there is any 'evil' here it's Apple's for creating a proprietary USB charger design, instead of a standardized design, so they could rip people off on the 'official' Apple charger.

Some so-called 'universal' USB charging kits get around the above issues by providing special adapters or cables to match up with both Apple and other USB devices, but I find that it's much simpler (and less expensive) to just stay away from all of Apple's iCrap non-standard products.

Bottom line, most generic USB chargers designed for cell phones, tablets and other devices will work just fine with the Sony, while anything that is labeled as being "Apple" or "iPod" compatible WILL NOT WORK.
Just to counter this, and without all the vitriol, my Apple devices will happily charge from any USB charger you throw at them. The only devices that I own that are temperamental are my T1 and my Nokia N8 phone which is a royal PITA. Personally I travel too much to worry about which USB charger I grab, so the T1 and the N8 tend to stay at home and gather dust. Nothing like waking up and finding that your phone, which was plugged in all night, is at 50% charge

It may be the "evil" Apple that created the incompatibility issue, but when I plug a device into a charger that I know works and the device doesn't charge, I blame the device, not Apple. Most manufacturer's seem to be able to make their devices tolerant of this non-standard charger, if Nokia and Sony are going to stand on their high horse and point to a standards document, then good luck to them, but in the real world people will blame their devices.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote